The emergence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has created a need to take additional cleaning and disinfection measures to help prevent its spread and help ensure the safety of guests and our staff.
Since we have only one cottage and our cleaner does not service any other properties it will be possible to achieve all of the following without changing our check in time of 3PM and our checkout time of 10AM.
1. Doors and windows will be kept fully open during the clean as fresh air tends to dissipate the virus.
2. Fresh gloves will be worn at all times. If disposable, they will be discarded at the end of the clean, or for reusable gloves, they will be hot washed between cleans.
3. Our cleaner will clean hands both at the start and the end of the clean.
4. All cleaning equipment will be cleaned and where possible disinfected - mops, wash clothes and dusters, etc.
5. Instead of textile cloths, mops, and sponges, disposable ones or good quality kitchen roll will be used instead. A two-cloth policy will be used where one cloth or sponge is used to initially clean a surface, and then switched to a clean one to finish cleaning a surface.
6. A double clean strategy will be employed - starting with hot water and detergent and then a double clean of the same surfaces with anti-bacterial products.
7. These products will be left on the cleaned surface for sufficient time as disinfectants usually need a wet surface and enough time to work so that they can be fully effective.
8. Extra effort will be put into on all the ‘high touch’ and horizontal areas in the house. High touch areas include:
9. Some research indicates that the time that the virus survives on surfaces may be affected by temperature with higher temperatures reducing the period of time the virus remains infectious. Heating will be left at 20 centigrade at all times between bookings.
10. Crockery, utensils and pots and pans should always be clean when they have been returned to their rightful place (although guests may wish to wash crockery and cutlery before 1st use).
11. Disposable gloves will be worn when handling dirty laundry and discarded after each use. Dirty laundry will not be shaken as this might spread the virus. When laundering, the highest recommended washing temperature will be used.
12 Anything used for transporting laundry will be cleaned and disinfected.
13. Guests sometimes leave unused food or condiments for the next guests. This will be thrown away!
Before they clean, cleaners should wash their hands and put on impermeable, disposable gloves.
Disposable masks will be worn and removed and disposed of safely.
Cleaners should avoid touching their face during the clean.
Gloves should be thrown away after each clean.
Cleaners should wash their hands immediately after gloves are removed.
Cleaners should be sure to air and ventilate the property during and after cleaning.
Sources of information:
Guests should not come to the cottage within 14 days of the end of symptoms or if they have tested positive for Covid-19. Bookings can be cancelled or rescheduled under these circumstances.
If any guests develop symptoms or are tested positive within 14 days of leaving the property they are asked to let us know. In addition, we will be pro actively contacting guests on key dates to inform us that they have not had any symptoms. We will inform guests what these key dates are, but typically will be:-
Guests should follow all current government guidance www.gov.uk/coronavirus and NHS guidance on www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-prevent-germs-from-spreading/
Self-check-in/check-out ensures social distancing, but social distancing will be maintained during any unavoidable interactions between staff and guests. Social distancing should also be maintained within the local community where possible and any interactions with other people should be minimised.
We have provided liquid soap products in the kitchen and the bathroom. Guests are encouraged to wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds regularly and each time you access the cottage.
Guests may wish to bring their own alcohol-based hand-sanitiser for use when going outside or handling anything that may have been touched or exposed to other people. A disposable dish cloth and sponge are provided.
It is advisable to close the toilet lid whilst flushing.
Although all items should be returned to cupboards clean, guest may wish to wash any crockery and cutlery before 1st use.
We cannot practically clean all books and DVDs or fire making materials, so do please wash/sanitise your hands before and after touching them.
Guests should consider removing their shoes/boots at the entrances to the cottage (and then wash their hands).
Guests should not leave any unused food stuffs in the cottage.
You may want to do some prior research on the local areas (as we have temporarily removed paper copies of tourist information and also some attractions may be closed or restricted). See
Self catering holiday cottage accommodation in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
Oak-beamed character cottage with wood burning stove. Sleeps 3 in 1 double bedroom and 1 single. Parking, a small garden and outside storage. Gas central heating, electricity, WiFi, all linen and towels are included in the price.
Garden furniture and barbecue supplied.
Oak Cottage is situated a couple of minutes walk from the main street and market square of the picturesque town of Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, 9 miles from Skipton with its links to the motorway and rail networks.
Built in 1840 and once home to 19th century lead miners, Oak Cottage is the ideal self catering base from which to explore Wharfedale and the Dales National Park.
Sorry, no smokers or pets.
Ground floor - Beamed sitting room with FreeView TV, DVD, Chromecast (own tablet etc. required), DAB radio/CD player with mp3 inlet (bring your connecting lead) and a 3-seater sofa and an armchair on which to relax. Log burning stove, basket of logs provided. Door leads off to kitchen with fridge, cooker, washing machine, microwave and all the usual pots and pans. Back door opens to rear yard with outhouse for storing bikes. Open tread oak staircase leads from sitting room to:
First floor - Double bedroom with views to the hills and a single bedroom. All bedding, towels and tea towels included in the price. Bathroom with electric shower over bath.
There is an off-road parking space adjacent to cottage which will accommodate a small-medium car, e.g. Astra or Ford Focus. Additional street parking is available nearby.
Behind the parking space is a small, elevated garden giving a fine view across the Wharfe valley.
The cottage has free WiFi.
1. Once a booking has been confirmed by you in writing (via email or letter). We will provisionally hold a booking for one week. If payment is not received during that period then the booking will no longer be held. Please note that a booking is not confirmed until a receipt of the funds has been acknowledged by us, either by letter or email.
2. Payment of a deposit constitutes a binding contract and the holidaymaker is liable for the full charge agreed at the time of booking.
3. In the event of cancellation made 6 weeks before arrival we will endeavour to re-let the property at the same tariff and if successful make a refund of monies paid less £50 per week, plus any costs incurred. Cancellations made within the 6 week period prior to arrival remain liable for full payment. Holidays are not transferable.
4. The balance of the payment is due 6 weeks before the date of arrival at the cottage. Non payment of the final balance when it becomes due by more than 7 days will constitute cancellation of the holiday and forfeiture of the deposit payment.
5. Valid methods of payment are cheque or direct bank transfer using internet banking.
6. We endeavour to ensure that all information on our website is accurate. However, errors and omissions can occur from time to time and we will not be held responsible for these errors and omissions. Additionally, information on the website may change between the date that you make the booking and the date of your stay. Should any service or facility that we provide become unavailable in that period then we will inform you as soon as possible. We cannot be held responsible for inaccessibility to any attractions or area amenities that are mentioned on the website.
7. Guests are advised to take out adequate holiday insurance in case they have to cancel the holiday for any reason.
8. Accessibility Statement. The front door is accessed from street level and there is a low sill. From the parking space adjacent to the cottage leads a gate to the rear yard, reached via 3 stone steps. Another gate leads from the rear of the parking space to the garden, also via stone steps. Inside, there is a stone step leading from the living room to the kitchen. The stairs leading from the ground floor to the first floor are open tread.
9. The property is normally available at 3pm on the first day of the booking. Details of how to gain access to the property are normally sent out by post at least a week before the arrival date. We regret that we cannot send these details to a P.O. Box number or via email.
10. The property must be vacated by 10a.m. on the last day of the booking.
11. Guests are responsible for the Holiday accommodation and its equipment during the period of their stay. All equipment, utensils etc must be left in a clean condition and the accommodation left in the same state of cleanliness and general order in which it was found. The guest undertakes to report and pay for any damage incurred during their occupancy, fair wear and tear excepted.
12. The number of persons using the Holiday accommodation shall not exceed the maximum number agreed at the time of booking. The property owner or caretaker is entitled to refuse admission to any persons not declared on the Booking Form or agreed in writing at an earlier date.
13. Provision of all bedding (duvets and pillows) linen, towels, tea towels, all gas and all electricity is included in the price. A single basket of logs is also included.
14. Pets are not allowed.
15. Smoking in the property is not allowed.
16. A car parking space is provided for small-to-medium size cars. However, if the guest’s vehicle cannot be parked in this space for any reason then no refunds will be given. In the event of extreme cold weather (e.g. ice or snow) we cannot guarantee that the space will be available. Also, we cannot be held responsible if street parking is not available.
17. WiFi is provided free but is subject to a “fair usage” policy. In particular, if more than 10GB of data is downloaded (or uploaded) then we reserve the right to make an additional charge for such usage.
18. WiFi access is not guaranteed and no responsibility is accepted if the WiFi is not available for any reason. This includes, but is not restricted to, temporary failure of the BT line, temporary failure of the WiFi router or any other hardware. In addition, no responsibility is accepted if the client’s device (e.g. PC, Smartphone etc.) is unable to connect due to technical or compatibility reasons.
19. Use of the internet WiFi is subject to the proviso that no illegal web sites are accessed subject to current criminal and commercial laws. This expressly includes, but is not restricted, to illegal copyright downloads, terrorism or illegal pornography.
20. We, or our representatives, shall be allowed access at any reasonable time during the holiday occupancy.
21. We reserve the right to alter or withdraw amenities or facilities without prior notice where reasonably necessary due to repairs, maintenance, weather conditions and circumstances beyond our control.
22. We reserve the right to refuse to hand over accommodation to anyone who, in the reasonable opinion of the Owner is not suitable to take charge of it. In such cases all hire charges paid will be refunded in full as quickly as reasonably practicable, the contract will be terminated and we will not have any further liability. We reserve the right to terminate a holiday after the keys have been handed over, if the unreasonable behaviour of anyone in your party is likely to cause danger or significant annoyance to others or damage to property. In these circumstances, no refund will be given. Please note that unreasonable behaviour specifically includes smoking by any member of your party in the property.
23. Liability. We do not accept any liability for any death or personal injury, unless it results from the owner’s negligence or the negligence of any employees of the owner (providing they were at the time acting in the course of their employment). You must take all necessary steps to safeguard your personal property. No liability is accepted by the owner in respect of damage to, or loss of, such personal property except where the damage or loss is caused by the negligence of the owner or that of any employee of the owner (providing they were at the time acting in the course of their employment)
24. Force Majeure. We can not accept responsibility or pay any compensation where the performance or prompt performance of the contract is prevented or affected by reason of circumstances which amount to "force majeure". Circumstances amounting to "force majeure" include any event which we could not, even with all due care, foresee or avoid. Such circumstances include the destruction or damage of your accommodation (which cannot reasonably be remedied to a satisfactory standard before the start of your holiday) through flood, fire, explosion, storm or other weather damage, break-in, criminal damage, riots or civil strife, industrial action, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, adverse weather conditions, war or threat of war, actual or threatened terrorist activity, epidemic and all similar situations beyond our control.
26. Complaints. If you are not entirely satisfied with your cottage please contact us immediately and every effort will be made to make right any problem. Complaints not reported during occupancy cannot be investigated at a later date.
27. We reserve the right to change any of the above terms and conditions and general information at any time without notice. Any such changes will be posted on our web site.